Combustible cartridge cases bring numerous advantages compared with conventional metallic cases:
- Fully combustible concept, i.e. no spent cases.
- Full ballistic performance from -40°C (-40°F) to 60°C (140°F).
- Increased firing rate.
- Reduction in barrel wear.
- Protection of the propellant charge.
- Compatibility with automatic loading due to high mechanical properties.
- Additional energy to fire, contributes energy to the ballistic cycle.
- Reduction in charge costs, particularly for artillery charges.
- Contribution to charge vulnerability reduction: lower reaction level for all types of threats.
- Improved crew compartment environment due to reduction in noxious fumes and clutter from spent metal cases and thus increased crew effectiveness.
- Work at higher chamber pressures, for which extraction of metallic cartridge cases would be impossible.
- Total round weight reduction resulting in easing burden on tank crew and improved logistics system.